By A. B. Bosworth, E. J. Baynham
Вокруг имени Александра Македонского сложилось множество легенд. Эта работа представляет собой подборку исследований крупных западных историков, в которых производится попытка отделить правду от вымысла.
Read Online or Download Alexander The Great In Fact And Fiction PDF
Best ancient & classical books
The correspondence of Fronto--a a lot renowned orator and rhetorician who was once befriended by way of the emperor Antoninus Pius and instructor of his followed sons Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus--offers a useful photograph of aristocratic lifestyles and literary tradition within the 2d century. His letters exhibit Fronto's robust stylistic perspectives and dislike of Stoicism in addition to his family members joys and sorrows.
"Written with wit and readability, this ebook could be of worth to these examining the Odyssey and the Iliad for the 1st time and to these instructing it to rookies. "-Library magazine In forty eight short chapters, Eva Brann delves underneath the eye-catching floor of Homer's epics to discover the internal connections and layers of which means that experience made those intricately developed works "the marvels of the a long time.
Hermann Alfred Hirt (1865-1936) taught Greek, Latin and early Germanic languages at Leipzig college from 1892 to 1912 earlier than relocating to the chair of Sanskrit and comparative linguistics at Giessen. Born round the time whilst Bopp and Schleicher have been publishing their ground-breaking paintings on Indo-European, and a tender guy while Brugmann released his enormous comparative grammar (all to be had during this series), Hirt all started this seven-volume grammar within the Twenties quickly after the interesting discovery of Tocharian and the decipherment of Hittite.
Theocritus of the 3rd century BCE, born at Syracuse, travelled largely within the Greek international. Having studied poetry at Cos with poet and critic Philitas, he composed poetry lower than patronage, mainly probably at Syracuse and Cos; after which went to Alexandria in Egypt, whose King Ptolemy II (died 246 BCE), scholar of Philitas, befriended him.
- Appian: Roman History, I, Books 1-8.1 (Loeb Classical Library #2)
- Hethitische Orakel, Vorzeichen und Abwehrstrategien: Ein Beitrag zur hethitischen Kulturgeschichte
- Thinking Men: Masculinity and its Self-Representation in the Classical Tradition
- Shifting Social Imaginaries in the Hellenistic Period: Narrations, Practices, and Images
- Antike Mythen: Medien, Transformationen und Konstruktionen
- Appian: Roman History, Vol. IV, The Civil Wars, Books 3.27-5 (Loeb Classical Library No. 5)
Additional info for Alexander The Great In Fact And Fiction
Bosworth 1980b: 12; Hamilton 1988: 475–6. 84 See the discussion of Michael Flower, below, pp. 107–15, 123–5. 85 These claims to empire originated early. Our sources depict him representing himself as the proper king of Asia immediately after the battle of Issus in late 333,86 and he had the mythological justification in that Perses, the supposed eponymous hero of the Persians, was the son of Perseus, Alexander’s own remote ancestor. 87 For Alexander it was a tailor-made foundation myth, akin to the legend which the Spanish sources put in the mouth of Montezuma.
That is not surprising. Imperial powers have a tendency to look over their shoulders at their predecessors, emulate the achievements of the past, and absorb the traditional philosophies of conquest. 1 The ancients provided convenient doctrines of racial superiority, which could be buttressed by appeals to the divinity. 2 God, then, was on the side of the English, and they could provide time-hallowed justification for their presence in North America. But can the reverse process be 1 On these concepts and their exploitation see in general ClavedescherThurlemann 1985; Russell 1975, esp.
15. 2. 5 (722). Arr. 6. 24. 1 confirms, stating that Nearchus alone alleged that Alexander made the journey in full knowledge of its difficulties. The parallels for the construction (toıto mvn used resumptively), particularly 7. 14. 7 and Ind. 10. 8–9, show that the whole preceding clause is to be understood, including the negative; Nearchus did not, as has been often argued, state that Alexander acted in ignorance of the route. I argue this more fully in my forthcoming commentary. 44 Arr. 6. 27.